Music/Other Entertainment:

 :: Media

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Fletch on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:47 pm

This made my day. Hopefully we can get permission to include it on the show.

_________________
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
avatar
Fletch

Posts : 31
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 35
Location : The Clasp on America's Bible Bra

http://www.doubtcast.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  JB on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Omg. I just... I cant....

holy shit that was great
avatar
JB

Posts : 28
Join date : 2009-09-06
Location : Grand Rapids, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Stanley on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:00 pm

This seems as good a place as any to say the code for my Carl Sagan Mii character on the wii is 6774-1895-8986

It's fun seeing him pop up on the games.
avatar
Stanley

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 41
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.myspace.com/stanleygrove

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jifrock on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:46 pm

That made my morning. I am wearing a smile as wide as my head. Thanks Stanley.
avatar
jifrock

Posts : 41
Join date : 2009-09-07
Location : 37° 40′ 30″ S, 144° 26′ 20.4″ E

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Jim on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:00 pm

you got robbed. everyone is replying to the other thread on this. haha.
avatar
Jim

Posts : 95
Join date : 2009-09-16
Location : NOLA

http://appleeaters.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  dezrah on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:12 pm

That's okay, as long as people are seeing it somehow. But between you and me?



FIRST!!!
avatar
dezrah

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-09-21
Age : 40
Location : Worcester, MA

http://www.dezrah.com

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Show On Earth

Post  jgrow2 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 pm

So who's reading it? Comments? I've just gotten the audiobook from Audible and am listening to it. Fascinating.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  politas on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:57 am

Started it last night. So far, it's all pretty much stuff I know. Nicely laying down the groundwork, though.
avatar
politas

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-09-06
Location : Canberra, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:47 am

politas wrote:Started it last night. So far, it's all pretty much stuff I know. Nicely laying down the groundwork, though.

I don't have a background in evolutionary biology, and didn't have much of an interest growing up. So, the examples he brings up in the book are most enlightening to me. That's what led me to pick the book up, and led me to his previous books as well.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  cleanwillie on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:22 am

I'm on page 125 and so far I'm loving it. I don't really have a background in science and my interest in evolution is of quite recent origin. I've read The Blind Watchmaker and I've had a general idea of the principles of how evolution works, so some of the stuff Dawkins talks about I'm a little familiar with, but the bulk of it is new and very exciting stuff to me.

I think the best thing about the book is how Dawkins can explain pretty difficult and complex ideas in a way that even I, a mathematically challenged musicologist, can thoroughly understand them. It was the same thing with The Blind Watchmaker, as when reading the book I found myself constantly amazed, not only by the awesome power and beauty of evolution, but by the fact that I could actually grasp these previously so difficult-sounding ideas and subjects.

Also I've offered to loan it to the only creationist I know personally (they're pretty hard to find in Finland, or at least in Helsinki, where I live) after I've finished reading it. So far he hasn't replied to my offer, but I really hope he will.
avatar
cleanwillie

Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-09-11
Location : Helsinki, Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 pm

cleanwillie wrote:I'm on page 125 and so far I'm loving it. I don't really have a background in science and my interest in evolution is of quite recent origin. I've read The Blind Watchmaker and I've had a general idea of the principles of how evolution works, so some of the stuff Dawkins talks about I'm a little familiar with, but the bulk of it is new and very exciting stuff to me.

I think the best thing about the book is how Dawkins can explain pretty difficult and complex ideas in a way that even I, a mathematically challenged musicologist, can thoroughly understand them. It was the same thing with The Blind Watchmaker, as when reading the book I found myself constantly amazed, not only by the awesome power and beauty of evolution, but by the fact that I could actually grasp these previously so difficult-sounding ideas and subjects.

Also I've offered to loan it to the only creationist I know personally (they're pretty hard to find in Finland, or at least in Helsinki, where I live) after I've finished reading it. So far he hasn't replied to my offer, but I really hope he will.

Forget it. Those people are so set in their delusions they won't listen no matter what the evidence is, how complete it is and how compelling it is.

Dawkins includes a transcript of an interview from one of his documentaries of one such confrontation showing that no matter what the evidence is, these people will not listen. They're more satisfied forcing changes in the law and stirring up the kooks and fools to scare the rest of us into acquiescing.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  cleanwillie on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm

jgrow2 wrote:

Forget it. Those people are so set in their delusions they won't listen no matter what the evidence is, how complete it is and how compelling it is.

Dawkins includes a transcript of an interview from one of his documentaries of one such confrontation showing that no matter what the evidence is, these people will not listen. They're more satisfied forcing changes in the law and stirring up the kooks and fools to scare the rest of us into acquiescing.

Yes, I know it's probably completely futile, but I'd like to believe that this person might still have the smallest shred of intellectual honesty left. But I'm afraid you might be right. For the last year or so he's been debating biologists on the letters to the editor -section of the Helsinki Jewish Community's magazine. The debate began when he translated for the magazine a truly disturbing piece of propaganda by Discovery Institute's David Klinghoffer. I wrote a reply trying the best as I could to rip Klinghoffer's nonsense apart and from there the debate escalated. I spoke to the editor of the magazine recently and he said he's pulling the plug on the "debate" since this creationist is, well basically being a creationist, and ignoring every piece of evidence that people are providing him and resorting to the tired old arguments from the creationist's repertoire, that were all too familiar with.

Anyway, in his last letter he claimed that there is no evidence for evolution and I instantly thought of The Greatest Show on Earth, which had just been published. If it's evidence he wants, which I actually seriously doubt, here is a book dedicated solely to explaining the huge piles of evidence for evolution to the layman. So I decided to offer to loan it to him. I still haven't heard from him though.
avatar
cleanwillie

Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-09-11
Location : Helsinki, Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 pm

cleanwillie wrote:Anyway, in his last letter he claimed that there is no evidence for evolution and I instantly thought of The Greatest Show on Earth, which had just been published. If it's evidence he wants, which I actually seriously doubt, here is a book dedicated solely to explaining the huge piles of evidence for evolution to the layman. So I decided to offer to loan it to him. I still haven't heard from him though.

Most all of Dawkins' books make compelling arguments for evolution, and contain compelling evidence too. This latest one pulls in more current data, and takes advantage of Dawkins' status as the go-to atheist (which I think he finds tiresome). If you're going to donate it, donate it to a library. Such was the ultimate fate of my copy of The God Delusion.

Besides, This person seems so lacking of intellectual or ethical honesty, I think he'd end up never giving the book back to you, and believe he was doing you a favor by not doing so.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  cleanwillie on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:09 pm

jgrow2 wrote:
Besides, This person seems so lacking of intellectual or ethical honesty, I think he'd end up never giving the book back to you, and believe he was doing you a favor by not doing so.

That might be the case. I think it is more likely though that he'll simply reject my offer or never reply to my message at all. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, since the offer is out there and I'm not going to take it back. But I'll be sure to keep you posted if anything interesting happens..
avatar
cleanwillie

Posts : 34
Join date : 2009-09-11
Location : Helsinki, Finland

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Neon Genesis on Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:52 pm

cleanwillie wrote:
I think the best thing about the book is how Dawkins can explain pretty difficult and complex ideas in a way that even I, a mathematically challenged musicologist, can thoroughly understand them. It was the same thing with The Blind Watchmaker, as when reading the book I found myself constantly amazed, not only by the awesome power and beauty of evolution, but by the fact that I could actually grasp these previously so difficult-sounding ideas and subjects.

Also I've offered to loan it to the only creationist I know personally (they're pretty hard to find in Finland, or at least in Helsinki, where I live) after I've finished reading it. So far he hasn't replied to my offer, but I really hope he will.
The only of Dawkins' books I've read was The God Delusion and the best part of it I enjoyed was how he explained evolution in a way that made sense to me even though I wasn't a science expert. I had already accepted evolution as a fact then but I didn't know enough to feel like I could adequately defend it in a debate and know what I'm talking about. While I still am not an expert, I know enough about evolution to understand the facts of it thanks to Dawkins. By the way, is the audio book version of The Greatest Show On Earth narrated by Dawkins like The God Delusion is?

Neon Genesis

Posts : 186
Join date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Neon Genesis wrote: By the way, is the audio book version of The Greatest Show On Earth narrated by Dawkins like The God Delusion is?

Yes. He and Lalla Ward narrate.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

My latest read - Suckers

Post  blacklens on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 am

I just started reading 'Suckers - How alternative Medicine Makes Fools of Us All' by Rose Shapiro and I swear it'll cause an aneurysm very soon. affraid
Maybe I'm extra sensitive to this kind of nonsense since it wasn't long ago that I was into herbal remedies, 'balance' and other CAMs. I've never gone as far as homeopathy, though (thank goodness!). For me it was mostly a reaction to a bad experience with the health care system, where several doctors more or less shrugged their shoulders at me and my concerns (and I'm not a hypochondriac). I now realize that the positive effects I experienced were placebo through and through. It makes me wonder though, how much of the CAM would go away if doctors would be better at (and have the time to) listening to their patients? How many of CAM users are like I used to be - disappointed at doctors who don't listen, don't take patient's concerns seriously, can't explain?

What's your relationship to CAMs? Have you walked down that road or are you one of the few who have managed to stay clear of it?
avatar
blacklens

Posts : 63
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 41
Location : Sweden

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Stanley on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 am

blacklens wrote:It makes me wonder though, how much of the CAM would go away if doctors would be better at (and have the time to) listening to their patients? How many of CAM users are like I used to be - disappointed at doctors who don't listen, don't take patient's concerns seriously, can't explain?

I believe that, in the US, the difference between doctors who get sued and doctors who don't get sued is 3 minutes of consultation time. Those extra 3 minutes lead the patient to feel as though the doctor cared.

Meanwhile, in the UK, the NHS spent millions of pounds on a beautifully presented Homeopathy "hospital". Now we know they don't believe it works. They know it is a placebo. They know they can save millions of pounds on hypochondriacs each year by sending them there. So, my question is, if they understand how important consultation time is and understand how important the look and feel and customer service of a "hospital" are...why don't they get it right more of the time elsewhere?


Last edited by Stanley on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to remove capitalisation of the D of doctor. I don't want to subliminally reveal my love of Doctor Who)
avatar
Stanley

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 41
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.myspace.com/stanleygrove

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  NedStark on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 am

I'm about 40-50 pages in. Liking it so far. I like Dawkins in the fact that he isn't mind-numbingly dry like Hitchens is.

NedStark

Posts : 26
Join date : 2009-09-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 pm

NedStark wrote:I'm about 40-50 pages in. Liking it so far. I like Dawkins in the fact that he isn't mind-numbingly dry like Hitchens is.

The audiobook of God Is Not Great was read by Hitchens, and while it reads dry when you or I read it, It's definitely not when he does.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Stanley on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:32 am

So...by no means anywhere near as lovely as the Sagan song video but I have made a little video of my Carl Sagan Mii for your delectation

avatar
Stanley

Posts : 40
Join date : 2009-09-07
Age : 41
Location : Manchester, UK

http://www.myspace.com/stanleygrove

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  exxian on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:36 am

BOOOSH

You just blew my mind. Carl Sagan song is now my ringtone.
avatar
exxian

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-09-16
Location : Tulsa, Oklahoma

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  wyceeric on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:28 am

jgrow2, is that your rig playing the Coltrane? I can see the Marantz 2252B, (beautiful!) how about the TT and speakers? Bet it sounds awesome in person. I'm into vintage gear too, (Marantz 2285B, Yamaha CR-1020 and CA-610II, Klipsch Heresy (I's), Infinity Qb's, Technics SL 1600- all 30+ years old)

I firmly believe that good music demands good gear upon which to play it, and the proper environment for engaged listening/appreciation. It makes a difference. Good doesn't have to be expensive, either.

In order to avoid a potential thread hijack, does a discussion of equipment fall outside the bounds of the "music" thread? If so, and folks want more, maybe we could start a new topic or try this: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php , if not, that's okay too.

I agree with the hymn/latin/(choral) thing above. Like Nickel Creek too. Check out the band Ollabelle.

wyceeric

Posts : 4
Join date : 2009-09-12
Location : Jenison, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  wyceeric on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:31 am

Also, Band of Heathens

wyceeric

Posts : 4
Join date : 2009-09-12
Location : Jenison, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  jgrow2 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 am

wyceeric wrote:jgrow2, is that your rig playing the Coltrane? I can see the Marantz 2252B, (beautiful!) how about the TT and speakers? Bet it sounds awesome in person. I'm into vintage gear too, (Marantz 2285B, Yamaha CR-1020 and CA-610II, Klipsch Heresy (I's), Infinity Qb's, Technics SL 1600- all 30+ years old)

I firmly believe that good music demands good gear upon which to play it, and the proper environment for engaged listening/appreciation. It makes a difference. Good doesn't have to be expensive, either.

In order to avoid a potential thread hijack, does a discussion of equipment fall outside the bounds of the "music" thread? If so, and folks want more, maybe we could start a new topic or try this: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php , if not, that's okay too.

I agree with the hymn/latin/(choral) thing above. Like Nickel Creek too. Check out the band Ollabelle.

I wish it were my gear! Although I fell into a headlong embrace of digital for its portability, I do agree it doesn't (can't) come close to good analog gear. The sample rate of CD and even DAT are inadequate to capture the nuances. The encoding schemes of mp3 and aac are still tied to blurring or cutting out a lot of sound.

Plus, I do love the smell of a tube amp once it's warmed up.
avatar
jgrow2

Posts : 102
Join date : 2009-09-06
Age : 49
Location : Arizona

http://turboblues.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Music/Other Entertainment:

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: Media

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum