Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio/Podcasts:

+15
atheistzombie
Closet Agnostic
Neon Genesis
timmeh
Fletch
Sosa
blacklens
exxian
Nicholas
DavidTSD
karyn
Stegocephalian
MisterChristopher
Admin
19 posters

:: Media

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Radio/Podcasts:

Post  Admin Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:03 pm

Discuss radio/podcast topics here --
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://doubtcast.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Podcasts

Post  08070104 Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:32 am

It can be hard to find good quality sceptic-related podcasts; I even forget how I stumbled upon RD. Everyone is probably familiar with
'Philosophy Bites' and 'RadioLab' but can anyone name more?

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Re: Radio/Podcasts:

Post  MisterChristopher Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am

My itunes atheism/skepticism podcasts:
RD
Skeptoid
The Atheist Experience/The Non-Prophets
The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
The Skeptic's Guide 5x5
The Unbelievers
Chariots of Iron/Atheist News
Skepticiallity
MisterChristopher
MisterChristopher

https://facebook.com/MisterChristopher13

Back to top Go down

Post  Stegocephalian Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Damn. Wrote a post, dug up several links, and then accidentally pressed "back" on my browser, and lost the post. Sad

Oh well, here goes another try.

Thanks for the lists so far - there were some there that I hadn't heard about, and am eager to try out. Downloading "Radio Lab" episodes now...

Here's a few good skeptical podcasts that I listen to, that haven't been mentioned yet:
Digital Bits Skeptic
The Conspiracy Skeptic
Point of Inquiry
QuackCast
and
The Reality Check

In addition, here's a couple of science podcasts that I enjoy:
Astronomy Cast
Nature Podcast

Reasonable Doubts is still my favorite though! I love you
Stegocephalian
Stegocephalian

http://www.chess.com/groups/view/the-godless

Back to top Go down

Post  karyn Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:58 am

My list, though some of these I don't really listen to that much:

Amateur Scientist
American Freethought
Atheist News
Dogma Free America
Econ Talk (very libertarian bias, but good nonetheless Very Happy )
Freethought Radio
Godless Radio
NPR's Intelligence Squared
Pat Condell
Quackcast
The Reality Check
SGU & SGU 5x5
Skeptoid
The Bible Geek
60 second earth and 60 second psych

I change through my podcast list quite a bit. I find that some shows I like, but I just don't listen to them, so I remove them and try out others. I like history, but the only history podcast I like is Dan Carlin. I get most of my science news from other sources, so I tend to not listen to those as much.
karyn
karyn

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty skeptical podcasts

Post  DavidTSD Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:45 pm

I do highly recomment American Freethought.

Other than the ones listed by others above, I think Apologia has some good content although in a different format. The Secular Nation Podcast and Humanist Network News may also interest members of this forum.

For those of you looking for an apologetics podcast to listen to I find that the Please Convince Me Podcast and the Skeptical Christian podcast good podcasts to hear arguements from the other side.

Last edited by DavidTSD on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i forgot to mention two podcasts)

DavidTSD

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicholas Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 am

American Freethought and Freethought Radio are both excellent shows, and podcast staples. And anything with Phil Plait is worth a listen.
Nicholas
Nicholas

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Not really "skeptic" but AMAZING podcast.

Post  exxian Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 pm

The guys mentioned Radiolab a few times on the show, so I decided to check it out.
I listened to two episodes and proceeded to "get all" and now I carry every episode around with me on my ipod.
Truly unique, thought provoking and even truly heart warming at times.
I'm slowly coming up on my memory limit on my itouch and... ok I'm seriously considering getting an ipod classic just so I don't have to pick and choose which podcasts get the axe. I love you

Thanks to the Reasonable Doubts boys for introducing this new podcast to me... it really has made an impact on my life in a lot of ways.
exxian
exxian

Back to top Go down

Post  blacklens Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:41 pm

exxian wrote:The guys mentioned Radiolab a few times on the show, so I decided to check it out.
I listened to two episodes and proceeded to "get all" and now I carry every episode around with me on my ipod.
Truly unique, thought provoking and even truly heart warming at times.
I'm slowly coming up on my memory limit on my itouch and... ok I'm seriously considering getting an ipod classic just so I don't have to pick and choose which podcasts get the axe. I love you

Thanks to the Reasonable Doubts boys for introducing this new podcast to me... it really has made an impact on my life in a lot of ways.
Download in progress...
blacklens
blacklens

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicholas Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks for the suggestion! The fact that they have an entire episode on sperm is just fantastic.
Nicholas
Nicholas

Back to top Go down

Post  Stegocephalian Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:41 am

I concur!

I also took the recommendation from "08070104" on the podcast thread, and have listened to a few episodes of Radio Lab.

It is a podcast made of WIN. sunny

Oh, and while I wouldn't necessarily call it a "skeptic" podcast, as in, a podcast about skepticism, it certainly seems to be a skeptic friendly podcast, as I've yet to run into any hint of WOO, and the makers seem very much scientifically literate. Cool
Stegocephalian
Stegocephalian

http://www.chess.com/groups/view/the-godless

Back to top Go down

Post  blacklens Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:35 pm

I've listened to the first few episodes of Radiolab, and I'm completely hooked! Well produced and really interesting and mind-boggeling topics.
Thanks for the tip exxian!
blacklens
blacklens

Back to top Go down

Post  Sosa Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:06 pm

"Speaking of Faith" with Krista Tippett. I believe is produced by NPR and American Public Media
Sosa
Sosa

Back to top Go down

Post  Fletch Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:49 pm

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that each episode of RadioLab changes my life. In deep and profound ways.
Fletch
Fletch

http://www.doubtcast.org

Back to top Go down

Post  timmeh Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:21 am

Downloading now.....I'll report back after I've plugged in and taken pooch for my weekend walk with a podcast.
timmeh
timmeh

Back to top Go down

Post  timmeh Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:08 am

Post pooch walk report:

Awesome, loved the few that I listened to. Great production quality and interesting subject matter. Very similar, even down to the host's voice and speaking style, to another favourite podcast I'm subscribed to: 'This American Life'
timmeh
timmeh

Back to top Go down

Post  timmeh Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:42 am

I have to admit something. I am a bit addicted to CARM Radio with Matt Slick. Matt is an obnoxious christian apologist and big proponent of the TAG argument. He also has a very active forum that you can visit here. I really don't know why I listen to him, I find him unbelievably frustrating, maybe it's so I can catch a glimpse into the mind of the creationist. He's a big fan of using logic in his refutation of atheism, but he seems to require a different set of logical rules when addressing christianity & the existence of gawd.
Check it out if you feel the need to get angry at someone.
timmeh
timmeh

Back to top Go down

Post  Neon Genesis Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:57 pm

The atheist/skepticism podcasts I like to listen to are Reasonable Doubts, Chariots Of Iron, Atheist News, the Minnesota Atheists Talk, the Atheist Experience, Freethought Radio, The Non-Prophets, The Good Atheist, Skepticality, the Skeptics' Guide To The Universe, and Dogma Free America. Does anyone know of any good podcasts by liberal Christians?

Neon Genesis

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Re: Radio/Podcasts

Post  Closet Agnostic Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:42 pm

These are my favorite podcasts somewhat related to RD......
-Skeptoid
-Skeptics Guide to the Universe
-Point of Inquiry
-Radiolab
-Astronomy Cast
-Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
-Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Closet Agnostic
Closet Agnostic

Back to top Go down

Post  atheistzombie Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:58 am

I drive quite a bit for my job (hundreds of miles a week) and I spend most of that time listening to podcasts. I listen to every "skeptically" oriented and counter-apologetic podcast that I can find. Most of them are mentioned here already, the only exceptions are some of the Aussie podcasts. Hunting Humbug 101, and Skepticzone are both enjoyable.
atheistzombie
atheistzombie

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Skeptical podcasts.

Post  MatthewOfCanberra Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:56 am

"Everyone is probably familiar with 'Philosophy Bites' and 'RadioLab' but can anyone name more?"

One that hasn't already been mentioned (I think) is "Truth-Driven Thinking". It's a bit broader than just religion - he takes after skeptical thinking generally. The presenter has an interesting take on religion, though: he's a recently reformed (is that the right word?) evangelical christian, and his family all still attend various protestant churches, so he sometimes talks about the resulting culture clash, and interactions he has with family members and religious friends (and ex-friends). It's a good show (IMHO).

Also have a listen to "The Conspiracy Skeptic". It's exactly what it sounds like. I listened to quite a few episodes of this one in a row a couple of months ago, and I enjoyed them (I was searching for a lost cat - which I found - then I was searching for the owner of a completely unrelated kitten - which is still living with me. It was a very cat-centric week or so).

If you like philosophy bites (and his other show, "philosophy - the classics"), you could check out "the philosopher's zone" and (maybe) "ockham's razor" from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. You'd probably like the odd episode of "All In The Mind", too - come to think of it, just check out the ABC Radio National podcasting page and start from there (yes, I'm australian).

http://www.abc.net.au/services/podcasting/default.htm

If you want a good feisty discussion about specific books in philosophy, there's "The Partially Examined Life". They assign reading in advance (which I never read) and they discuss it on the next podcast. The show is quite serious about the material, but it's also entertaining. I haven't listened to this one in a while. There are only so many hours in a day :-(

One good "random interesting brainy subjects" show comes from the BBC: In Our Time, with Melvyn Bragg. Good to listen do while driving, or gardening (it's true).

Back to subjects religious - check out "Apologia". It's kind of like Reasonable Doubts and Reasonable Faith glued together into one podcast. On balance I think the hosts themselves generally lean toward unbelief, but they get some good guests on the show to argue the other side (I think a regular guest is a producer of "Reasonable Faith"). It's obviously a bit less polemical than some other skeptic shows.

If you're at all interested in the other side of the coin, I went through a phase of listening to (lots of) Theology Unplugged - basically a discussion about christian theological topics by a couple of guys who run courses (Reclaiming The Mind Ministries). Knowing nothing at all about Christianity, I found these interesting and they're very friendly and engaging to listen to. It has a "sensible late night radio" feel to it - although the format has changed in the most recent episodes (possibly because they don't have Greg Cromarte running the discussion anymore)

GodPod is a religious news / topics discussion show from London - you can almost smell the tea and biscuits. The presenters are also very friendly and nice to listen to (they're British, you see).

The BBC has a good religious news / affairs show called "All Things Considered". Archbishop Williams is on as a guest sometimes and he's usually in some sort of trouble, so those episodes are worth seeking out.

The ABC used to have a good news show called "The Religion Report", but it was axed in 2008 - which was a pity (and a controversial decision). Some have suggested that straight reporting on the activities and troubles of religious organizations upset people - and there aren't too many atheists on the front benches of the australian parliament. You can still download old audio from the ABC web site, but it's not really topical any more.

Ok. I think I've type enough.

Night!

MatthewOfCanberra

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicholas Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:05 am

I recently discovered "Irreligiosophy". It's a fantastic show that I honestly don't know how I missed all this time. I'm currently working through a backlog of old episodes, and they're great. Smile
Nicholas
Nicholas

Back to top Go down

Radio/Podcasts: Empty Interesting Ted Haggard interview on NPR religion:

Post  MatthewOfCanberra Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Is a liberal a conservative who's been persecuted?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127475990

MatthewOfCanberra

Back to top Go down

Post  Aught3 Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

A couple of new podcasts:

Rationally Thinking - run by the NYC skeptics and hosted by Massimo Pigliucci (10 eps so far)
The CUSP - NZ based monthly podcast, last episode the interviewed Laurence Krauss (4 eps so far)
Aught3
Aught3

http://www.indoctrinatingfreethought.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sblast Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 pm

One of the best if not the best:

Conversations from the Pale Blue dot

All the rest is entrainment next to this.
Very good, very deep. Great for the mind.

Point of Inquiry - Is also excellent, dealing with (post) modern thought, something I don't see much.

Pop Philosophy! - Great fun & philosophical!

All in the Mind - Psychology and neuroscience. not too heavy, yet informative.
Sblast
Sblast

http://gbb17.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next