Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atheist or Agnostic?

4 posters

Go down

Atheist or Agnostic? Empty Atheist or Agnostic?

Post  nebadonomega Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:31 am

Hi all! I am trying to decide exactly what I am, atheist or agnostic. Here is what I think: I believe we were created, but not by a God, so to say, but by another race in the galaxy who seeded life on Earth. So, since I do not believe these entites are "god" but instead great scientist, does that make me an Agnostic or an Atheist? And yes, I know I have weird thoughts, so don't bother addressing them, lol.

nebadonomega

Back to top Go down

Atheist or Agnostic? Empty Re: Atheist or Agnostic?

Post  Clint Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:26 pm

You'd do well to do some reading and answer that question for yourself; those categories are not necessarily mutually exclusive. As for your Panspermian beliefs, where did you get them and what evidence compelled you to accept them?

Clint

Back to top Go down

Atheist or Agnostic? Empty Panspermian Beliefs

Post  nebadonomega Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:20 pm

My beliefs come from my own mind. I guess in the death of the traditional god of my youth I reached for the stars. The universe is so big that to me it seems very possible that other life exists out there. And with the universe being as old as it is it is likely that very intelligent life also exist. I know that if I had acheived the creation of life I would want to spread it amongst the cosmos if I had the technology to do so. So, that is where my belief in Watchers came about. They are a creation of my own mind. I believe that we were created and are now watched, but not by a god. Instead, they are really just smart scientist. Hope this helps!

nebadonomega

Back to top Go down

Post  Aught3 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:17 am

My take on it would be to call you an atheist because you do not believe in the existence of gods.

To me, the only useful version of agnosticism is for the admission that all our knowledge is open to revision. This includes knowledge about gods and so I don't see a need for a special agnostic category when the god question comes up. Most agnostics are really atheists who because of their situation can't admit it to themselves.
Aught3
Aught3

http://www.indoctrinatingfreethought.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Atheist or Agnostic? Empty Reply

Post  nebadonomega Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:37 am

I agree with you. I seem to be in that agnostic boat, but I am tired of kidding myself. I guess it just takes time to accept myself and revise my thoughts. It is a lot of responsibility to take on, because now I have no higher power to ask for help, nor to blame and get angry at; being an atheist means I take responsibilty for my own mistakes, as well as my triumphs. It is a step that I am ready to take, though.

Thanks! My eyes have been opened. Shocked

nebadonomega

Back to top Go down

Post  2buckchuck Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 am

If you don't believe in a deity, then by definition, you are an atheist. There are many flavors of atheists. Note that not believing in a deity doesn't mean you have absolute proof there is no deity. In fact, no logical process can ever 'prove' (in a logical sense) there is no deity.
2buckchuck
2buckchuck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down