Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secular Constitution in Africa

2 posters

Go down

Secular Constitution in Africa Empty Secular Constitution in Africa

Post  Philani Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:45 pm

I live in Zimbabwe, an overwhelmingly Christian country. For the last 12 or so years my country has been squeezed by the iron grip of Robert Mugabe. Recently a power sharing deal between him & the opposition was signed. The plan was to have a new constitution produced before the next elections could be held. There is were the problem lies.
Since the country is so religious I fear that any suggestion of a completely secular constitution would be met with equal disdain from both sides of the political divide. I worry that from my point of view regarding Church & State, people like myself will find themselves in a position of meet the new boss, same as the old one. I wonder how other African countries or even others have dealt with the issue of creating constitutions that realise the need for a Secular slant.

Philani

Back to top Go down

Secular Constitution in Africa Empty Re: Secular Constitution in Africa

Post  Aught3 Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:41 pm

Well South Africa has freedom of religion and no state religion. You need to frame the issue in a way that the Christians can see the advantages. If they want Christianity as the official religion, which denomination is going to be the supreme law of the land? I bet they all couldn't agree on that one. If the problems with a state religion are pointed out many Christians might start to realise that freedom of religion is actually a good thing for them allowing them to practise all the various incarnations of their belief-systems without the state interfering.
Aught3
Aught3

http://www.indoctrinatingfreethought.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down